Lemon Olive Oil Christmas CookiesRoberta
The average American eats around 7,000 calories on Christmas Day — not counting the parties and other snacking prior to the actual holiday. One of the easiest ways to at least make the overindulgence a little healthier this holiday season is replacing butter with olive oil in your favorite dessert recipes.
While cutting down on your saturated fat intake is the best reason for swapping olive oil for butter, the taste and texture of desserts will be enhanced as well. Olive oil will keep your cookies moist as well as add a specific type of crumb. While butter will add a richness to a cookie, extra virgin olive oil gives a lighter, slightly fruity flavor. Try these delicious cookies!
Ingredients for your “Lemon Olive Oil Christmas Cookies”:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup Coronado Taste of Oils Lemon Olive Oil
- 1½ cups granulated sugar, divided use
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, 1 cup sugar, Coronado Taste of Oils Lemon Olive Oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla until combined.
- With a spatula, slowly add the flour mixture and stir to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the freezer for an hour to chill. (Chilling the dough allows for easier handling).
- In a small shallow dish or bowl, place the remaining ½ cup granulated sugar. Place the powdered sugar in another shallow dish or bowl.
- Scoop a level tablespoon of the chilled dough and roll into a ball. First, roll in the granulated sugar, pressing gently to coat. Next, roll in the powdered sugar and place on parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough leaving 2-inches between each dough ball as cookies will spread slightly as they bake.
- Bake 5 minutes and rotate pan. Bake an additional 5-7 minutes or until puffed and cracked on top. Remove from oven and place cookies on a cooling rack to cool completely.
Amazing cookies that are a little healthier than the average cookie!
Don’t forget to put your Lemon Olive Oil into your shopping cart before you go!