Cherry Balsamic French ToastMissy - Blissbranding Digital Specialist
This Cherry Balsamic French Toast pulls out all the stops, with a decadent balsamic cherry syrup, mounds of fresh whipped cream and a dusting of powdered sugar.
FOR THE BALSAMIC CHERRY COMPOTE:
1 1/2 pounds cherries rinsed, stemmed & pitted
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons Coronado Taste of Oils Black Cherry Balsamic
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
FOR THE FRENCH TOAST:
6 large eggs
1/2 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
4 cups milk
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of nutmeg
1 loaf day-old brioche cut into 1-inch slices
1/4 cup butter
Confectioner’s sugar for dusting
Fresh whipped cream
- In a medium sized pot, combine cherries, sugar, balsamic and vanilla. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Transfer to a heat-safe bowl to cool. Syrup will thicken as it cools.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, salt and milk. Add cinnamon and nutmeg; whisk to combine.
- Layer bread slices in a shallow baking dish and pour over egg mixture. Let stand until bread begins to absorb liquid, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn bread slices and let bread absorb liquid on the opposite side, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Place a baking sheet in the oven.
- Working in batches, coat the bottom of a medium skillet with some of the butter and heat over medium-high heat. Add 2 slices of soaked bread and cook until golden brown. Flip bread and cook on the other side until golden brown and crisp, adding butter as necessary. Transfer French toast to baking sheet in oven to keep warm. Repeat this process with remaining butter and bread.